First of all IT’S SUMMER!!! Secondly, sorry for the low res photo, my camera was dead. To celebrate the end of school and a rediculously long summer I decided to make something new – a Vodka Cream Sauce. For all of you out there who don’t have vodka, fret not, you can do without it is just not as amazingly awesome. The sauce can me made in one pot if left chunky. If you want it silky smooth, like I did, just throw it into a blender before adding the cream, blend till smooth, add cream, blend for a milisecond and serve.
I love a vodka sauce with just about anything. Here I served it with chicken and mushroom ravioli and broccili rabe sauteed with garlic, olive oil, and lemon. Broccili rabe is really easy to make but it is important to cook it all the way and add acid (ie lemon juice) to break down some of the bitterness. Have fun experimenting and happy cooking!
Vodka Cream Sauce (serves 8)
What You’ll Need:
sauce pan, spoon, blender (optional)
1 28oz can of whole plum tomatoes
8oz heavy cream
1/2 cup vodka
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil (can substite a 1/4 cup fresh basil)
salt & pepper to taste
- Heat pan to low-medium, add olive oil and saute garlic just until fragrant
- Pour tomatoes into pan and mash loosely with spoon
- Increase heat to medium-high and add vodka
- Simmer over medium-low until it thickens (15-20 minutes)
- Add cream and spices, simmer and then serve (ALTERNATE: pour into blender, add spices, blend, add cream, blend, serve.