It’s summer!!!! I’ve finished exams, moved out of my dorm, and am in the process of moving into a new apartment so lots of exciting stuff is going on. Lots of exciting non-food related stuff means that I haven’t had as much time to cook 😦 I’ve been cutting corners recently and one of my favorite new tricks is frozen fish from whole foods. They had these beautiful 2-packs of wild caught salmon fillets for only $10.00 each that were calling to me and I just couldn’t say no.
If you put the frozen salmon in the fridge the before you go to bed it is perfectly thawed for dinner the next day. Pair that with a quick mango avocado salsa, healthy black beans cooked ahead, and a bed of lettuce and you have a healthy weeknight dinner with no refined carbs!
Salmon with Mango Avocado Salsa (Serves 2)
- 2 salmon portions (fresh or fully thawed)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 mango, cubed
- 2 limes
- 1 head bibb lettuce
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 tomato, cubed
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced finely
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Sauté onion and garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. When onion is translucent pour in beans with liquid. Simmer covered for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine red onion, tomato, mango, avocado, cilantro, and the juice of one lime in a small bowl. Season to taste.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper. Cook over high heat for 3 minutes per side (for rare, longer to cook it all of the way through) in olive oil. Remove from heat.
- Line plates with lettuce leave. Arrange salmon over 1 cup black beans and top with salsa.
- Garnish with lime.