Sweet potato fries have quickly become a staple at restaurants. While people often think of them as being ‘healthy’ the reality is that they are, in most cases, fried and covered in salt. This sort of negates the potential health benefits.
So, you go home determined to make a healthier version of this yummy side. But, no matter how hard you try, every time you try to bake sweet potato fries they come out soggy. Turns out, there is an easy secret to crispy sweet potato fries without all the fatty oils – corn starch.
Bakes Sweet Potato Fries (Serves 4)
- 5 large and similarly sized sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt
- Peel sweet potatoes if you wish (I don’t peel them) and slice into sticks the size of a normal french fry.
- Soak in water for .5-2hrs.
- Drain and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line baking sheet with tin foil.
- Spoon a few tablespoons of cornstarch into a large ziploc bag. Place a small handful of sweet potato sticks into the bag and shake until coated. It is important that they have enough room to move around and that you do not put lots of cornstarch into the bag as they may become coated too thickly.
- Tap off excess cornstarch and place onto baking sheet. Repeat with all remaining sweet potato sticks.
- Drizzle with olive oil and turn to coat lightly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt and serve.