Spinach is still a vegetable if you cover it in cheese, right? Spinach and artichoke dip is a classic that doesn’t need much tweaking. A little bit of lemon juice for acidity, garlic and cayenne for depth, and a rejection of the yucky mayo so many people use are simple ways to lift this dip from a steakhouse staple to something you’d actually want to serve at home.
Serve it as an appetizer with pita chips or crusty bread.
Spinach and Artichoke Dip (Service 5-10)
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 can artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
- 8oz container of sour cream
- 8oz container of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and Pepper
- Combine spinach, artichokes, sour cream, cream cheese, lemon juice, garlic, cayenne, and half of the parmesan (1/4 cup) in a bowl. Season to taste.
- Transfer to a 9×9 baking dish.
- Top with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Broil until bubbly and brown on top.
- Be sure to place on a trivet so that you don’t burn your table when serving!