I rely on food that can be made ahead and reheated when I need it. Two days a week I’m in class from 8:40am until 8pm and so there really isn’t time to cook. Plus, I hate buying lunch because the cost adds up so quickly. I love breakfast burritos and recently realized that they are a great lunch food too! If made right, they are healthy, easy, and very freezable.
While this recipe makes 12 burritos, if you are cooking for a family multiply to fill your freezer with weeks of easy breakfasts, yummy lunches, and healthy late-night noms. Worried about your burrito folding ability? Check out this tutorial and you’ll be rolling like a pro in no time.
Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos
- 12 large tortillas at room temperature
- 12 large organic eggs
- 1 cup chopped mixed red and green peppers
- 3/4 – 1lb ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 large sweet potato cut into 1/3″ cubes
- 1-1.5 cups shredded monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Toss sweet potato with 1 tbsp olive oil and spread out on a baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
- Season turkey with your favorite spices and brown in a hot skillet. Add kale and stir occasionally until fully cooked.
- Transfer turkey and kale mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl and pour into the skillet you used for the turkey on medium heat. Add peppers and cook as a scramble until eggs are fully cooked but not dry (if they begin to brown, turn down the heat).
- Transfer eggs to a bowl and set aside
- When all ingredients have cooled completely, arrange in an assembly line: tortillas, eggs, turkey, sweet potato, cheese, and then a baking sheet on which to put the rolled burritos.
- Assemble all burritos (see images for guidelines re: amounts) and place in the freezer uncovered.
- When the burritos are completely frozen, transfer to Ziploc bags.
To defrost in oven: Preheat oven to 350F. Place burrito, uncovered, on a baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes or until warmed through and beginning to brown.
To defrost in microwave: Place on a microwavable plate and cook on high for 1 minute and 30 second.