While I cook for one, in order to eat healthy I have to cook way more that one meal at a time. Like many young people, I don’t have time to cook every night. Twice a week I’m in class until 8pm, having an easily accessible is the difference between getting to bed on time and being exhausted the next morning. So either I have to pick up food on my way home and over pay for a minimally nutritious meal, or I can have something ready to go in the fridge. I make soups, pizzas, and pasta dishes, like this lasagna, packed with protein and vegetables that last all week long to make these late night dinners healthier, less expensive, and delicious.
This 5 Vegetable Lasagna is the perfect weeknight dinner. It’s packed full of eggplant, zucchini, spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes, and there is enough pasta to fill you up but not so much that you feel overloaded on carbs. This dish reheats well, tastes delicious, and can be made inexpensively for a crowd! I love it, it makes my life easier, and it’ll make your weeknight dinners less stressful too!
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/3″ slices
- 3 small zucchini (organic tend to be smaller!), cut into 1/3″ slices
- 1 box no boil pasta sheets
- 1 bag chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
- 1 16oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 egg
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 15 oz ricotta
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/3 cup parm
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9 x 12 ceramic or glass baking dish with olive oil.
- Season eggplant and zucchini with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet (use two if necessary) and bake for 15-20 minutes or until they are just beginning to brown.
- Combine spinach, ricotta, egg, nutmeg, thyme, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, and parsley in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté mushrooms and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat. When the mushrooms begin to brown, pour in crushed tomatoes and lower to simmer. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Time to assemble! Layer components in the greased baking dish in this order: tomato sauce, no-boil lasagna noodles, ricotta, vegetables (and then start again with tomato sauce). Repeat this pattern 3 or 4 times until all ingredients are used up. It’s not necessary, but it’s good to end on tomato sauce. Top it all off with the remaining parmesan and the mozzarella.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes at 375F until bubbly and browned on top. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.