If you were to come into my kitchen right now you would find me on my tippy toes, bent over my sink, devouring a peach while valiantly trying to not get any of it’s deliciousness on me or my floor.It’s peach season my friends, and this peach salad celebrates all of the wonders of summer’s favorite stone fruit. With sweet warm peach, salty prosciutto and feta, hearty kale, and bright mint harvested from my backyard garden, it is a perfectly well-rounded salad and a beautiful side dish for any summer gathering. Serve it alongside your favorite barbecue, like ribs with my maple bourbon barbecue sauce!
Peach and Kale Salad with Prosciutto, Feta, and Mint (Serves 4)
- 4 cups kale, stems removed and chopped coarsely
- 2 ripe peaches
- 1/8 cup prosciutto
- 1/3 cup feta, crumbled
- 2 tbsp mint, chiffonade (cut into long thin strips)
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Toss kale with 1 tbsp olive oil, the juice of 1/2 lemon, and a hearty pinch of salt in a large bowl. Massage gently to tenderize kale. This will tenderize it, making it more delicious to eat raw!
- Halve peaches and remove pits.
- Heat broiler on high and broil peaches, flesh side down, for 3-4 minutes or until they begin to get soft but not mushy. You can also cook them on a grill pan on your stove, or on a grill outside!
- Toss mint, feta, prosciutto, and remaining olive oil in bowl with kale. Gently place peaches on top, flesh side down, to allow juices to spread through the salad!
- Serve while peaches are still warm. Spoon about 1 cup of salad onto a plate and top with a peach half. Serve with barbecue and a simple starch or grain.